CNN Morning Ratings Shrink Despite Primetime Demo Advantage Over MSNBC
The network hits new lows with its early programs in the first quarter, as Fox News continues its to lead all cable news by wide margin.
The first quarter of the year saw a few notable shifts in cable news ratings, with Fox News Channel retaining its 10-year streak on top of CNN and MSNBC.
In primetime, Fox averaged 1.91 million viewers above MSNBC's 825,000 and CNN's 755,000. Likely buoyed by its three primetime republican presidential debates -- and despite year-over-year drops for Piers Morgan, John King and Anderson Cooper -- CNN managed to grow 33 percent and overthrow MSNBC's second place spot among the coveted adults 25-54 group. CNN's 253,000 eclipsed MSNBC's 235,000, while Fox had an easy win with 420,000.
Daily ratings saw the three networks hold their rankings in viewers and 25-to-54-year-olds. Fox was on top with 1.07 million viewers and 262,000 in the demo, MSNBC in second with 458,000 and 143,000 in the demo and CNN in last with 434,000 and 139,000 in the demo.
Among individual programs, Fox News had the top ten broadcasts among viewers, while MSNBC (Rachel Maddow) and CNN (Cooper) each took a slot in the top ten with viewers 25-54.
In the competitive morning, CNN took big hits between 6:00 a.m. and noon, dropping double digits among viewers and adults 25-54. Early Start was down 30 percent in viewers from the time slot last year, while Morning Joe dropped only 6 percent and Fox & Friends grew by 5 percent.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama