CNN's Republican Debate Draws 5.5 Million Viewers
Hosted by Anderson Cooper, the Las Vegas debate is the second most-watched of the season.
CNN's Republican debate held in Las Vegas' The Venetian Resort Hotel and moderated by network anchor Anderson Cooper delivered in the ratings on Tuesday.
According to fast nationals, the debate drew 5.5 million total viewers from roughly 8-10 p.m. -- though the actual event took place from 8-9:52 p.m. The debate, which featured presidential candidates Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Rick Perry, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum, is so far the second-highest debate this season in total viewers. Fox News Channel's Sept. 22 debate was the only one that drew more viewers, averaging 6.1 million.
Because of the strength of the Republican debate, CNN was the No. 1 network during the two-hour tiem period among cable news networks, handily topping nearest competitor Fox News Channel in the 25-54 demo (1.7 million vs. 493,000) in addition to total viewers (5.5 million vs. 2.1 million).
When compared to CNN's debate held in Tampa on Sept. 12, last night's was up 51 percent in total viewers and 46 percent in 25-54.
At 10 p.m., Anderson Cooper 360 delivered 2.2 million viewers and 735,000 in 25-54, outperforming other cable news networks in both categories.
On the digital side, CNN reports that the Las Vegas debate had more than 601,000 live video streams during the 8-10 p.m. hours, a 35 percent improvement from Tampa.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Experience The Controlled Chaos Behind Cuba Gooding Jr.'s 1997 Oscars Acceptance Speech
- John Gallagher Jr. On The Upcoming Final Season Of 'The Newsroom'
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Gedeon Luke Keeps the Soul Train Moving ; Viv and the Revival Breaks Your Heart
- Comcast To Charge Insane Amount For A Single Season Of 'House Of Cards'