CNN's GOP Presidential Debate: 10 Best Zingers of the Night
On Tuesday night, seven Republican presidential candidates met in Las Vegas for the eight in a series of debates.
The candidates included Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, businessman Herman Cain, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (Ga.), Texas Rep. Ron Paul, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum.
PHOTOS: Michele Bachmann: The Politics of Fashion
The candidates covered a variety of topics during the debate, which was hosted by CNN’s Anderson Cooper. Healthcare, immigration, the economy and the Occupy Wall Street protests were all covered during the event.
Herman Cain and Mitt Romney both received a lot of heat from other candidates. Cain was criticized for his tax plan, while Mitt Romney felt the heat about Massachusetts’ healthcare plan, which he signed off on, and was the model for President Obama’s healthcare plan.
STORY: GOP Presidential Debate: What Hollywood Is Saying
Here are some of the more memorable quotes from Tuesday’s debate:
On Herman Cain’s tax plan:
1. "I like your chutzpah on this, Herman, but I have to tell you, the analysis I did, person by person, return by return, is that middle-income people see higher taxes under your plan. If it's lower for the middle class, that's great. But that's not what I saw,” said Mitt Romney.
2. "The reason that our plan is being attacked so much is because lobbyists, accountants, politicians, they don't want to throw out the current tax code and put in something that's simple and fair,” said Herman Cain.
On Mitt Romney’s healthcare plan in Massachusetts:
3. “There's a lot of big government behind “Romneycare,” not as much as “Obamacare,” but a heck of a lot more than — than your campaign is admitting,” said Newt Gingrich.
STORY: Jon Stewart Calls GOP Presidential Contest 'American Idol' in Reverse
On illegal immigration:
4. "Well, I think the person who really has a problem with illegal immigration in the country is President Obama. It's his uncle and his aunt who are illegal aliens who've been allowed to stay in this country, despite the fact that they're illegal,” said Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann.
5. “Mitt you lose all of your standing from my perspective because you hired illegals for your home,” said Gov. Rick Perry, referring again to accusations that Romney’s lawn care company had hired illegal immigrants. “The idea that you stand here before us and talk about that you're strong on immigration is, on its face, the height of hypocrisy.”
6. “I don't apologize at all for wanting to protect the American citizens and to protect our agents on the border, no... I believe in let's solve the whole problem. We must shut the back door so people can come in the front door,” said Herman Cain.
PHOTOS: Box Office Politics: The Movies and Stars Dems vs. GOPers Love (and Love to Hate)
On Occupy Wall Street Protests:
7. “They’re directing their anger at the wrong place. Wall Street didn’t put in failed economic policies,” said Herman Cain. “Wall Street isn’t going around the country trying to sell another $450 billion. They should be standing in front of the White House.”
8. “Mr. Cain has blamed the victims. There are a lot of people who are victims of this business cycle,” said Ron Paul.
On cutting defense spending:
9. “How does it help us to keep troops in Korea all these years? We’re broke..This debt bubble is the thing we better really worry about,” said Ron Paul.
Mitt Romney on Texas Gov. Rick Perry:
10. “This has been a tough couple of debates for Rick and I understand that. And so you’re going to get – you’re going to get testy,” said Romney after the two candidates got into an argument about whose turn it was to speak.
Bonus Quote of the Night:
"Now with the president, he put us in Libya. He is now putting us in Africa. We already were stretched too thin, and he put our special operations forces in Africa," Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, referring to Obama's decision to send U.S. troops to Uganda. It should be noted that Libya is also in Africa.