CNN Revamping Morning Lineup (Report)
Soledad O’Brien and Ashleigh Banfield are expected to be among the anchors of a new early programming schedule that will dismantle the cable news network's current "American Morning" block.
NEW YORK - After rejigging its afternoon and evening programming schedule, Time Warner's CNN is now looking to unveil a new morning lineup with the likes of Soledad O'Brien, the New York Times reported.
The cable news network's new plans will effectively dismantle its current American Morning block, which has been a weak ratings performer, the paper said.
The new early schedule, which could be unveiled as early as this week, will see O’Brien, one of CNN's former morning anchors, anchor from 7am to 9am on weekdays, while Ashleigh Banfield, a former correspondent for ABC News, will co-anchor with another person from 5am to 7am.
One co-anchor possibility is Zoraida Sambolin, a former early morning anchor from Chicago, according to the Times.
A CNN spokeswoman declined to comment on possible changes on Sunday, the Times said.
American Morning has struggled in the ratings, it highlighted, pointing to the dominance of the Today show and Good Morning America on network TV and Fox & Friends and Morning Joe on CNN's cable news competitors. The morning lineup has also routinely underperformed the ratings of Morning Express With Robin Meade on CNN sister channel HLN.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR