CNN Throws a Barely Attended, Glitzy TCA Party
Jeff Zucker's first foray into the press tour's cocktail circuit with his new network saw Anderson Cooper, Piers Morgan, Wolf Blitzer and Christiane Amanpour mingling mostly with each other at the Friday bash in Pasadena.
This story first appeared in the Jan. 24 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
CNN rolled out the red carpet for the Television Critics Association the evening of Jan. 10, though many critics and reporters didn't bother showing up for the news network. The late-Friday affair on the Langham hotel's pool deck in Pasadena was poorly attended, at least during the early part of the event. It may have been thanks in no small part to its overlap with Golden Globes weekend, scant publicity about CNN talent attendees and the TCA's general ambivalence toward anyone who isn't an actor.
It was Jeff Zucker's first shindig since his days at NBC, and the splashy cocktail party seemed on par with what the broadcast nets spend on events. Hours after slamming Fox News as "Republican Party headquarters" during his panel, Zucker was surrounded by a rah-rah crowd, but his cadre of A-list anchors -- Anderson Cooper, Piers Morgan, Wolf Blitzer and Christiane Amanpour -- largely were left to mingle with one another.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David