CNN Throws a Barely Attended, Glitzy TCA Party
Jeff Zucker's first foray into the press tour's cocktail circuit with his new network saw Anderson Cooper, Piers Morgan, Wolf Blitzer and Christiane Amanpour mingling mostly with each other at the Friday bash in Pasadena.
This story first appeared in the Jan. 24 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
CNN rolled out the red carpet for the Television Critics Association the evening of Jan. 10, though many critics and reporters didn't bother showing up for the news network. The late-Friday affair on the Langham hotel's pool deck in Pasadena was poorly attended, at least during the early part of the event. It may have been thanks in no small part to its overlap with Golden Globes weekend, scant publicity about CNN talent attendees and the TCA's general ambivalence toward anyone who isn't an actor.
It was Jeff Zucker's first shindig since his days at NBC, and the splashy cocktail party seemed on par with what the broadcast nets spend on events. Hours after slamming Fox News as "Republican Party headquarters" during his panel, Zucker was surrounded by a rah-rah crowd, but his cadre of A-list anchors -- Anderson Cooper, Piers Morgan, Wolf Blitzer and Christiane Amanpour -- largely were left to mingle with one another.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Aerosmith's 'Dream On' Performed To Honor Boston Marathon Victims And Survivors (VIDEO)
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"