CNN Throws a Barely Attended, Glitzy TCA Party
Jeff Zucker's first foray into the press tour's cocktail circuit with his new network saw Anderson Cooper, Piers Morgan, Wolf Blitzer and Christiane Amanpour mingling mostly with each other at the Friday bash in Pasadena.
This story first appeared in the Jan. 24 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
CNN rolled out the red carpet for the Television Critics Association the evening of Jan. 10, though many critics and reporters didn't bother showing up for the news network. The late-Friday affair on the Langham hotel's pool deck in Pasadena was poorly attended, at least during the early part of the event. It may have been thanks in no small part to its overlap with Golden Globes weekend, scant publicity about CNN talent attendees and the TCA's general ambivalence toward anyone who isn't an actor.
It was Jeff Zucker's first shindig since his days at NBC, and the splashy cocktail party seemed on par with what the broadcast nets spend on events. Hours after slamming Fox News as "Republican Party headquarters" during his panel, Zucker was surrounded by a rah-rah crowd, but his cadre of A-list anchors -- Anderson Cooper, Piers Morgan, Wolf Blitzer and Christiane Amanpour -- largely were left to mingle with one another.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Lindsay Lohan Misses Her AA Meeting, Blames Paparazzi On Premiere Of OWN Series (VIDEO)
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed