Col spies Jolie as 'Salt' substitute
"Edwin A. Salt" is getting a sex change.
New mom Angelina Jolie is in negotiations to replace Tom Cruise in the Columbia spy thriller.
Screenwriter Kurt Wimmer will redraft the screenplay, about a CIA officer who must prove she is not a Russian sleeper spy out to assassinate the president, to suit Jolie. Phillip Noyce remains attached to "Salt" as director with Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Sunil Perkash producing.
The title also will change.
The project has a long history, with directors coming and going, though Cruise has long been tethered to it. The deal for the switch began to fall into place about two weeks ago, though Columbia topper Amy Pascal has been after Jolie for a project for more than two years.
Jolie also is attached to star in "Atlas Shrugged," an adaptation of the Ayn Rand novel. She intends to do both, though in what order remains unclear.
She is repped by Media Talent Group. (partialdiff)
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Seth Meyers To Host 2014 Emmy Awards On August 25
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services