'Cold War' Sweeps Hong Kong Film Awards
The cop drama's Tony Leung Ka-fai and Miriam Yeung were named best actor and best actress.
HONG KONG -- Cold War raged through the 32nd Hong Kong Film Awards, winning nine statuettes out of 19 competition categories.
The Edko Films cop drama, which the screenwriting-directing team of Longman Leung and Sunny Luk took five years to develop, won best film, best director, best screenplay and best actor. Cold War was the highest grossing local production in Hong Kong in 2012, taking in $5.4 million at the Hong Kong box office.
Best actor went to Tony Leung Ka-fai for his role as a deputy police commissioner in Cold War, marking the fourth time The Lover star took home the award after his previous wins for Reign Behind the Curtain (1983), 92 Legendary La Rose Noire (1992) and Election (2005).
Singer-turned-actress Miriam Yeung was named best actress for the first time for her performance in the romantic comedy sequel Love in a Buff. The role was a reprisal of her turn as a smoker and beauty consultant in director Pang Ho-cheung’s 2010 original Love in a Puff.
Although Pang Ho-cheung lost to the Cold War screenwriting-directing team in the best director and best screenplay categories, he proved an actor’s director. Apart from best actress winner Yeung in his Love in the Buff, two actors from his other 2012 hit, Vulgaria, also took home acting awards: Ronald Cheng and Dada Chan won the best supporting actor and actress, respectively, for Vulgaria.
List of 32nd Hong Kong Film Awards Winners:
Best Film: Cold War
Best Director: Longman Leung, Sunny Luk (Cold War)
Best Screenplay: Longman Leung, Sunny Luk (Cold War)
Best Actor: Tony Leung Ka-fai (Cold War)
Best Actress: Miriam Yeung (Love In The Buff)
Best Supporting Actor: Ronald Cheng (Vulgaria)
Best Supporting Actress: Dada Chan (Vulgaria)
Best New Performer: Alex Tsui (Cold War)
Best Cinematography: The Silent War
Best Film Editing: Cold War
Best Art Direction: The Last Tycoon
Best Costume and Make Up Design: The Great Magician
Best Action Choreography: Jackie Chan & He Jun (CZ12)
Best Original Film Score: Cold War
Best Original Film Song: The Last Tycoon
Best Sound Design: Cold War
Best Visual Effects: Cold War
Best New Director: Roy Chow (Nightfall)
Best Film from Mainland and Taiwan: Back to 1942
Lifetime Achievement Award: Ng See-yuen
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Let's Help Rush Limbaugh With This Whole Movies With The Word 'Slave' In The Title Thing