Coldplay, Adele, U2 Earn Top Honors at UK's Q Awards
Noel Gallagher, Tinie Tempah and Fat Boy Slim were also recognized at the annual ceremony.
LONDON -- Rock icons U2 have something new to brag about - winning Q Magazine's Greatest Act of the Last 25 Years award.
The annual music awards by Britain's best-selling music monthly took place Monday in London and the Irish quartet was among the music notables at the ceremony.
The U.K.'s artist of the moment, singer/songwriter Adele, won two awards, for Best Female and Best Track for her song "Rolling in the Deep." She didn't attend, since the event comes just two weeks after she was forced to cancel her U.S. tour due to throat problems.
Coldplay was voted Best Act in the World Today, although lead singer Chris Martin disagreed with the accolade.
"U2 are the best band in the world at the moment. We are about seventh," he said.
Noel Gallagher, one-half of the warring brothers who led the rock band Oasis to chart glory, was named a Q icon. But he said that award did not come close to rivaling his joy when his favorite soccer team, Manchester City, smashed crosstown rival Manchester United 6-1 on Sunday.
"No award can compare to that. That was the best day of my life, bar my children being born," Gallagher said.
Eighteen awards were handed out, including to rapper Tinie Tempah for Best Male Artist and to U.S. internet sensation Lana Del Ray, who was crowned the Next Big Thing.
Brian May and Roger Taylor accepted entry into the Q Hall of Fame on behalf of glam rockers Queen, and Take That's Gary Barlow was honored as Classic Songwriter.
Multimillion selling DJ Norman Cook, aka Fat Boy Slim, was presented with a Q Inspiration award.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack