Colin Trevorrow to Direct 'Jurassic Park 4'
The "Safety Not Guaranteed" director will helm the fourth installment of the blockbuster dinosaur series, while original helmer Steven Spielberg will executive produce.
Colin Trevorrow is going time traveling once again, in a way, by directing a film in which dinosaurs walk the earth.
The Safety Not Guaranteed director is set to helm the fourth installment of the lucrative Jurassic Park franchise. He will direct a script by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, with Frank Marshall and Patrick Crowley producing and Steven Spielberg, the franchise's original director, executive producing.
The first three films Jurassic Park in the series, which launched in 1993, have taken in $1.9 billion at the box office.
Trevorrow made his feature debut with last year's Sundance hit Safety Not Guaranteed, an indie comedy featuring Mark Duplass as an eccentric inventor who is seeking to travel back in time. Aubrey Plaza and Jake Johnson co-starred in the film, which earned a best first screenplay award and nomination for best first feature at the Independent Spirit Awards.
After the new Star Wars films were announced, Trevorrow became a buzzed-about candidate to helm the first sequel when a blog resurfaced comments he made about hoping to direct a new chapter in a film franchise with a built-in fan base.
"It’s not going to be me for Episode VII, and I can’t believe I’ve actually had to come out and say that," Trevorrow told The Hollywood Reporter in late November. "That was the most shocking thing, like around the dinner table when I was 8, I had to assure everyone that it wasn’t me, but now actually for real. But there are a lot of things that have come up that are a lot of exciting opportunities that have come up because of [Safety]."
Jurassic Park 4 is slated to hit theaters in June 2014.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Experience The Controlled Chaos Behind Cuba Gooding Jr.'s 1997 Oscars Acceptance Speech
- John Gallagher Jr. On The Upcoming Final Season Of 'The Newsroom'
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Gedeon Luke Keeps the Soul Train Moving ; Viv and the Revival Breaks Your Heart
- Comcast To Charge Insane Amount For A Single Season Of 'House Of Cards'