Columbia Pictures Announces Title of the Next 'Spider-Man' Film
12:08 PM PST 2/14/2011 by Pamela McClintock
The studio also simultaneously releases a photo of Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man, the first shot of him in the famous full mask and suit.
Columbia Pictures has settled on a name for the next installment in its blockbuster superhero franchise: The Amazing Spider-Man.Film stars Andrew Garfield, and hits theaters July 3, 2012. Columbia also has released a photo of Garfield as Spider-Man, the first shot of him in the famous full mask and suit. The new title reflects the studio's intent to return the iconic character to his roots, since The Amazing Spider-Man was the name of the Marvel comic book launched by Stan Lee and illustrator Steve Ditko in 1963. As in the comic book, the upcoming film will feature Peter Parker (a.k.a. Spider-Man) in high school. Otherwise, the storyline is being kept under wraps. Marc Webb is currently lensing the 3D tentpole, a Marvel Entertainment production. Cast also features Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Campbell Scott, Martin Sheen and Sally Field. James Vanderbilt, Alvin Sargent and Steve Kloves penned the script, based on the Marvel comic book by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Laura Ziskin, Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing the Marvel pic for Columbia. Lee, Kevin Feige and Michael Grillo are exec producing.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Aerosmith's 'Dream On' Performed To Honor Boston Marathon Victims And Survivors (VIDEO)
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"