Columbia to Release 'Twenty Feet from Stardom' Soundtrack
Columbia Records will release the soundtrack for the documentary Twenty Feet from Stardom on June 18, four days after the film opens theatrically.
The film chronicles the lives of background singers, starting with Darlene Love, moving through Merry Clayton and Claudia Linnear, and winding up with Lisa Fischer and Judith Hill, the former Michael Jackson singer currently on NBC's The Voice.
The soundtrack features new recordings cut during the making of the film including a version of Bill Withers' "Lean On Me" led by Love with Fischer, Hill and Jo Lawry; Clayton's version of the gospel tune "Nobody's Fault But Mine" with Hill, Oren Waters, Tata Vega and Charlotte Crossley; and Vega and Hill partnering on Earl King's "Let's Make a Better World" with Clayton, Waters and Crossley backing them up. Hill also contributes her original "Desperation."
There is talk of assembling "best of" packages of the film's featured singers as well and Love's 1998 autobiography, "My Name is Love," is coming back into print in paperback on June 4 in connection with the film.
The rest of the soundtrack to director Morgan Neville's documentary are songs from the film, among them Clayton's version of Neil Young's "Southern Man" and David Bowie's "Young Americans."
The Weinstein Co.'s Radius imprint will release the film on June 14. They acquired it at the Sundance Film Festival in January.
1. "Walk On The Wild Side" - Lou Reed
2. "Slippery People" - Talking Heads
3. "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - Merry Clayton (feat. Oren Waters, Judith Hill, Tata Vega, and Charlotte Crossley)
4. "He's A Rebel" - The Crystals
5. "Space Captain" - Joe Cocker
6. "Gimme Shelter" - Merry Clayton
7. "Sure On This Shining Night" - Lisa Fischer
8. "Let's Make A Better World" - Tata Vega and Judith Hill
9. "Young Americans" - David Bowie
10. "Southern Man" - Merry Clayton
11. "Desperation" - Judith Hill
12. "A Fine, Fine Boy" - Darlene Love
13. "Lean On Me" - Darlene Love (feat. Lisa Fischer, Jo Lawry, and Judith Hill)