Common's 10 Least Controversial Lyrics
Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity condemned Michelle Obama's decision to invite the rapper the White House because of his history of violent lyrics but a closer look at the rapper's work reveals another side of the story.
Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck condemned first lady Michelle Obama for inviting the rapper Common to her poetry event Wednesday because of his history of violent lyrics, notably directed at police officers.
Fox News pundit Hannity conducted a special report about the invitation, specifically focusing on a line in a 2007 poem that criticizes President George W. Bush. "It baffles me that this is the person the White House chooses to set as an example for our kids," Hannity declared.
The rapper addressed Hannity's criticism on his own Facebook page, writing, "Politics is politics and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I respect that. The one thing that shouldn't be questioned is my support for the police officers and troops that protect us every day. Peace ya'll!"
Is Common -- who has recorded songs with the Jonas Brothers and Colbie Caillat, and has appeared in movies like the Tina Fey comedy Date Night -- a danger to the youth of society?
Check out 10 of Chicago-based rapper's most memorable lyrics:
1. "And me, I found a purpose why I MC/Inspire a young world to be greater than me/I fall awake and I dream a song/So the little shorties will sing along." -- "Changes"
2. "I look into my daughter's eyes, and realize that I'm gonna learn through her/The Messiah, might even return through her/If I'm gonna do it, I gotta change the world through her." -- "Be"
3. "Black men walking with white girls on they arms/I be mad at 'em as if I know they moms/Told to go beyond the surface, a person's a person/When we lessen our women, our condition seems to worsen." -- "Real People"
4. "I'd be lying if I said I didn't want millions/More than money saved, I wanna save children/Dealing with alcoholism and Afrocentricity/A complex man drawn off of simplicity."-- "The 6th Sense"
5. "They say I'm slept on, now I'm bucking in dreams/And rhyme with the mind of a hustler scheme/Or the struggle of fiends, I flow over water that's as troubled as teens/For the love of the team, trying to double the dream/Be grateful, like the church psalm my grandmother sings." -- "Aquarius"
6. "I never call you my bitch or even my boo/There's so much in a name, there's so much more in you." --"The Light"
7. "I just want you to know/Your whole being is beautiful/I'm going to do the best I can do/'Cause I'm the best when I'm with you." --"Come Close"
8. "We talkin' spending the rest of our lives/It's too many black women that can say they mothers, but can't say that they wives." --"Retrospect for Life"
9. "I believe in heaven more than hell/Blessings more than jail/In the ghetto, let love prevail."--"A Dream"
10. "Right now let's stay in the present/Don't worry about tomorrow 'cause today is a blessing/The world in a state of aggression/I find calm in you, I see my mom in you." -- Joss Stone feat. Common, "Tell Me What We're Gonna Do Now"
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Emmy Rossum & Zoey Deutch Celebrate with Jimmy Choo at their CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant with Fear in 'Rosemary's Baby' Trailer!
- Television Legend Valerie Harper 'Absolutely Cancer Free' After Battle with Terminal Brain Cancer
- Keri Russell's 'The Americans' Renewed for Third Season by FX!