Michael Jackson Estate Slams MSNBC Over Conrad Murray Documentary
On the heels of Dr. Conrad Murray’s guilty verdict, MSNBC has readied a documentary that has Michael Jackson’s Estate up in arms.
“Like so many of Michael’s fans, the Estate is also disgusted by MSNBC’s irresponsible and inexplicable decision to air a Conrad Murray ‘documentary,’” said the Estate in a statement, obtained by TMZ.
“The Co-Executors, John Branca and John McClain, are sending a letter to the top executives at Comcast, NBC Universal and MSNBC to express their disdain for their actions,” the statement continued.
Michael Jackson and the Doctor: A Fatal Friendship is slated to air on Friday, Nov. 11 and focuses on the highly publicized trial from the defense team’s perspective. The doc is said to give “an exclusive look into the past two years of Murray’s life.”
The project is an October Films and What's It All About? Productions co-production in association with MSNBC.
Zodiak Rights controls worldwide distribution rights to the documentary and has already secured pre-sales with broadcasters around the world, including Channel 4 in the U.K. and Nine Network in Australia.
NBC also nabbed an exclusive interview with Murray prior to his Nov. 7 conviction, which is scheduled to air in two parts on Nov. 10 and 11 on the Today show.
Jackson died June 25, 2009, of acute propofol intoxication after suffering cardiac arrest in his home. Murray, Jackson’s personal physician, had been charged with administering the fatal dose.
Following the reading of the verdict, Murray was remanded to custody without bail. He will be sentenced on Nov. 29 at 8:30 a.m. PT and could face up to four years in prison and lose his medical license.