• The Hollywood Reporter on LinkedIn
  • Follow THR on Pinterest

Jurors in Conrad Murray Trial Won't See Michael Jackson Tour Announcement, Judge Rules

Dr. Conrad Murray
Getty

Defense attorneys hoped to show footage of the “This Is It” tour announcement to demonstrate Jackson’s ill health. The trial is set to begin Tuesday.

Jurors in the trial of Michael Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray will not be shown footage of Jackson's March 2009 announcement of the This Is It tour, a judge ruled Monday.

The trial is set to begin opening statements on Tuesday and Murray's defense team had hoped to introduce the footage into evidence. According to CNN, Murray's attorneys claim the video would bolster the testimony of Jackson's makeup artist, who said the singer was furious when he learned the number of shows on the tour had been increased from 10 to 50.

Defense lawyer Nareg Gourjian reportedly told the judge the announcement was delayed 90 minutes "because Michael Jackson was passed out and could not get off the sofa."

PHOTOS: 10 TV Trials That Shook The World

However, Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney David Walgren said video shot in March would have no bearing on the singer's death four months later in June.

Previously, Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor had denied a prosecution request to tell jurors about investigators multiple failed attempts to re-interview Murray in the weeks after Jackson's death.

The prosecution's first witness on Tuesday is expected to be This Is It producer Kenny Ortega.

Murray is accused of having a hand in the overdose of the anesthetic propofol and other drugs that killed Jackson on June 25, 2009. If convicted, he could face up to four years in prison.