'The Coup' Starring Owen Wilson, Pierce Brosnan Begins Shooting in Thailand
The action-thriller from director John Erick Dowdle tells the story of an American family living in Southeast Asia who get swept up in a violent revolution.
The Coup, from director John Erick Dowdle and starring Owen Wilson, Pierce Brosnan and Lake Bell, has begun shooting on location in Thailand.
The film tells the story of an American family living in Southeast Asia who find themselves caught in the middle of a violent military uprising. Wilson and Bell play the American husband and wife, and Brosnan a heroic government operative.
Dowdle co-wrote the script with his brother Drew Dowdle.
Bold Films is financing, with Drew Dowdle, Michel Litvak and David Lancaster producing. Lancaster previously worked in Thailand on Nicolas Winding Refn's Bangkok-set art house exercise in dreamy violence, Only God Forgives, starring Ryan Gosling.
Thai-based production company Living Films, which has worked on previous Thailand-set Hollywood projects including The Hangover 2, is facilitating the shoot.
"The producers of the The Coup had a wide choice of countries in which they could have based this production," said Living Films founder and executive director Chris Lowenstein. "The fact that they chose Thailand is a great testament to the skills of the Thai crews and the resources that Thailand offers. We are delighted to help bring this project to the screen."
Lancaster said he was back in Thailand because his prior shooting experience had been "wonderful." But he added that Thailand should consider creating a tax incentive if it wants to attract more foreign productions.
“It is definitely an issue, as more and more countries have moved into the area of incentives. We only hope that Thailand can follow suit as the country already has a terrific crew and equipment base in place," he said.
Sierra/Affinity is handling international sales of The Coup.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead