Courtney Love Mocks Lana Del Rey's Nirvana Cover (Video)
“You do know the song is about my Vagina right?” the Hole singer tweeted after the 26-year-old performed “Heart-Shaped Box” in Australia.
Lana Del Rey’s take on Nirvana classic "Heart-Shaped Box" may have gone over well with her audience in Sydney, Australia last week, but it didn’t impress Courtney Love.
The Hole singer and widow of Kurt Cobain ridiculed Del Rey in a now-deleted tweet, which was recorded for posterity by NME.
“You do know the song is about my Vagina right? 'Throw down your umbilical noose so i can climb right back,'” Love wrote. “umm… On top of which some of the lyrics about my vagina I contributed. So umm next time you sing it, think about my vagina will you?"
Love is known for being aggressively protective of her husband’s work. In March, she said a version of Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” covered in The Muppets had “raped” Cobain’s legacy. (Cobain’s Nirvana bandmates had given their blessings for the song’s inclusion in the film.)
As for Del Rey, the 26-year-old has said she has been a Nirvana fan since age 11.
"When I was 11, I saw Kurt Cobain singing 'Heart-Shaped Box' on MTV and it really stopped me dead in my tracks,” Del Rey said in a radio interview last year. “I thought he was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. Even at a young age, I really related to his sadness."
Watch Del Rey’s cover of “Heart-Shaped Box” below.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR