The CW Prepping Brand Refresh for Fall (Exclusive)
The network has quietly engaged outside consultants to help communicate the network's multi-platform approach to reaching younger viewers.
This story first appeared in the June 29 issue of The Hollywood Reporter.
Come fall, the CW network is set to roll out new shows, new stars and, THR has learned, a new tagline.
The younger-skewing network, best known for series such as Gossip Girl and The Vampire Diaries, is quietly working on a brand refresh, a venture that has included the involvement of a handful of outside consultants. The process began when new president Mark Pedowitz took the helm in spring 2011 and his team decided it was important to reassess and recalibrate.
While CW’s strategy will remain focused on current and smartly provocative fare — including newcomers Arrow and The Carrie Diaries — geared towards the 18-to-34 set, the new and not yet settled upon tagline should better communicate the way in which media is consumed across multiple platforms today. It's a fitting push for a ratings-challenged network that has struck groundbreaking digital deals with Netflix and Hulu. In contrast to other recent network rebrandings at Lifetime and E!, the CW logo will remain intact.
“Four years ago, when we came out with TV to talk about, blog about and IM about, we were the first ones talking about that,” says executive VP marketing and digital programs Rick Haskins, whose mission has been to reach the famously elusive demo. “I look at it now and think that’s not as fresh as it could be because everybody is doing it now and I want to once again be ahead.”
In recent weeks, the network has moved a step closer to its refreshed look as it introduced a new summer package with summer written in cursive and the primary color shifted from green to orange. It's a visual notice to viewers that under Pedowitz the network is adding summer reality series for the first time.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!