Cynthia Nixon Returns to Broadway in 'Wit'
The “Sex and the City” actress will be seen with the Manhattan Theatre Club in January 2012.
Tony and Emmy Award winner Cynthia Nixon is returning to live theater.
The Manhattan Theatre Club announced on Wednesday that Nixon has signed on to star in the Pulizer-Prize winning Broadway debut of Margaret Edson’s Wit. Directed by Lynne Meadow, the show will begin its limited engagement with previews on January 5, 2012, opening on January 26, 2012.
The actress will play a poetry professor undergoing experimental cancer treatment, as she struggles with the irony of becoming the research subject rather than the scholar. Her performance will mark the play’s first run at the Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, as it ran Off-Broadway for 500 performances beginning in 1998.
Nixon’s previous stage credits include Rabbit Hole, Distracted, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and The Women, in addition to her simultaneous performances in Hurlyburly and The Real Thing. She can currently be seen opposite Laura Linney on Showtime’s The Big C.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott