D'Angelo, Mary J. Blige Team Up For 'Liberation Tour' Dates
The duo is expected to play 20 shows beginning on Aug. 18.
After separately dazzling the 2012 Essence Music Festival this weekend, R&B veterans D'Angelo and Mary J. Blige are teaming up for a co-headlining trek dubbed the Liberation Tour.
Although only four East Coast dates for the joint tour have been announced, Blige tells Rolling Stone that the run will be 20 dates long. The first announced date of the tour is Aug. 18 in Virginia Beach, and tickets are currently on sale through Live Nation.
For D'Angelo, the co-headlining tour marks another step in the comeback of a legendary, long-reclusive singer. D played his first U.S. show in over a decade when he made a surprise stop at Bonnaroo last month, and after performing at Essence Fest on Friday night, the singer is booked for Jay-Z's inaugural Made in America festival in September.
Meanwhile, Blige is coming off of the 2011 release of her 10th studio album, My Life II… The Journey Continues (Act 1). In 2008, Blige co-headlined the Heart of the City Tour with Jay-Z.
Here are the announced dates for the D'Angelo/Mary J. Blige Liberation Tour:
Aug. 18 Virgina Beach, VA (Farm Bureau Live)
Aug. 19 Wantagh, NY (Nikon Theatre at Jones Beach)
Aug. 21 Boston, MA (Bank of America Pavilion)
Aug. 23 Holmdel, NJ (PNC Bank Arts Center)
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR