Daft Punk Confirm Columbia Signing on Facebook
The influential French electronic music duo produced three albums for EMI, with their latest release expected this year.
LONDON -- French electronic music duo Daft Punk have confirmed their move to Sony Music's Columbia Records via a Facebook update.
An image posted on DaftPunk.com and the duo's Facebook page includes the label's logo on the bottom right-hand side of the picture.
The signing is part of Sony Music's focus on expanding its dance music offerings. Columbia recently also added Depeche Mode to its talent roster.
Chatter about their departure from EMI's Virgin Records label, now part of Vivendi's Universal Music Group, emerged earlier this year.
Daft Punk's last release was the soundtrack to Disney movie Tron: Legacy in 2010. Before that, they released Human After All in 2005. Their debut album, Homework, came out in 1997, followed by 2001's Discovery.
There have been many rumors, most of them unconfirmed, about Daft Punk’s fourth album. Producer and Chic co-founder Nile Rodgers recently hinted that it would be out in the coming months. Oscar-winning singer/songwriter/ASCAP president Paul Williams, bassist Nathan East, Feist collaborator Chilly Gonzales and legendary disco producer Giorgio Moroder are among those who reportedly have collaborated with the duo over the past couple of years.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game