'Daily Show' duo in Paramount deal
John Oliver, Rory Albanese to create film and TV projects
John Oliver and Rory Albanese of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" are foraging for new comedy pastures.
The writers -- Albanese also is a "Daily Show" executive producer -- have signed a blind script deal with Paramount.
"It's completely blind," Oliver said. "The contractual details are that they have to physically close their eyes and keep them closed between now and whenever we deliver the final script. That way, when they eventually open them, they will either be pleasantly surprised or throw themselves out of the window."
Added Albanese: "Actually, I didn't realize it was that intense until John just said that. I thought they just gave us free money for a half-baked idea."
As for that idea, the writers pitched for the fences, as it were.
"We pitched it as being the most critically acclaimed and profitable movie in Hollywood history," Oliver said. "They were particularly interested in the second part of that. As to exactly what it will be, I think it's far too early for those trifling details."
Oliver and Albanese, both repped by CAA, also plan to form a production venture to create feature and television projects. They met three years ago on "Daily Show," for which Oliver is a frequent on-air correspondent.
"John is sort of the British version of me," Albanese said in explaining the duo's collaboration. "If you replace England for Long Island and Oxford for Roxbury Community College, and a feminine Euro physique with a jet ski-calendar hard body, we are almost twins."
Oliver, also repped by Avalon Management, most recently had a role in "The Love Guru."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack