'Dallas' Remake to Air on U.K.’s Channel 5
The iconic eighties show was a huge primetime hit on the BBC in Britain.
LONDON - Channel 5 in the U.K. has picked up the Warner Bros.-distributed remake of Dallas - which is due to air on TNT next summer.
The new 10-part series will air in primetime on the terrestrial network, which also airs CSI, Californication and Law & Order.
The original series, which aired in the U.K. on the BBC between 1978 and 1991, achieved a cult status among the followers of the stormy business dealings, passions and betrayals of the Ewing family. With mass audience television in the U.K. still very much the norm - and the cable and satellite explosion very much in the future - Dallas proved to be the high water mark for the success of U.S. shows on primetime mainstream television in the U.K. Alongside shows like Dynasty - and latterly The Colby's - the recipe of glamor, intrigue and wealth in Dallas proved intoxicating for audiences, with the entire nation coming to a near-halt on the matter of who shot J.R.
While American television is far less exotic now, Channel 5 programmers are hoping that viewers will take to the remake - which plays out the epic Ewing family feuds through a new generation of the dynasty and stars Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Brenda Strong as well as the original lineup of Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, and, of course, Larry Hagman,
Channel 5 head of programs Jeff Ford said the show had "many millions of fans" and that the new-look return of such an iconic show would prove popular with a British audience.
"With its alluring mix of wealth, seduction, scandal and intrigue, there is something for everyone on the Southfork Ranch and it’s a hugely exciting addition to our 2012 schedule," he promised.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!