Dane DeHaan, Lea Seydoux Among BAFTA Rising Star Nominees
The other nominees for the British Academy award, the only decided by public vote, are "12 Years a Slave"'s Lupita Nyong’o, and Brit actors Will Poulter and George MacKay.
LONDON -- Dane DeHaan, soon to be seen in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, is among the five nominees vying for this year's BAFTA Rising Star award, sponsored by telecom operator EE.
DeHaan will put himself at the mercy of a public poll to secure this year's Rising Star plaudit, dished out during the upcoming EE British Academy Film Awards. The other nominees are 12 Years A Slave cast member Lupita Nyong’o, Brit actors Will Poulter (We're The Millers) and George MacKay (The Boys Are Back), and Blue is the Warmest Color star Lea Seydoux.
Created in honor of casting director Mary Selway after her death in 2004, the award is the only British Academy film nod to be voted on by the public.
This year's nominations list was drawn up by a panel including director Kirk Jones, actress Gemma Arterton (a former Rising Star nominee), producer Pete Czernin and U.K. movie critic Mark Kermode.
Previous winners of the plaudit include Tom Hardy, James McAvoy, Eva Green, Shia LaBeouf and Noel Clarke.
Arterton found herself on the Rising Star shortlist in 2011, but lost out to that year's winner Hardy.
To get on the nomination list the five had to have "demonstrated exceptional talent and ambition," and also will "have begun to capture the imagination of the British public," according to the panel guidelines.
The winner will be unveiled during the EE British Academy Film Awards on Feb. 16, and the public vote is now open.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama