Danny Huston headed for 'Playoff'
Eran Riklis' film centers on story of Ralph Klein
CANNES -- Danny Huston, who played a rough-around-the-edges Richard the Lionhearted in Ridley Scott's Cannes opener "Robin Hood," will star in "Playoff," a sports drama from Israeli director Eran Riklis ("Lemon Tree") based on the real-life story of Israeli basketball coach Ralph Klein.
Huston plays Max Stoller, a Holocaust survivor who, after coaching Tel Aviv to victory in the European basketball championships, gets a call to train the German national team. Despite public outrage in Israel, he agrees and arrives in Frankfurt where he is confronted by the memories of his childhood.
"I have to speak German and Hebrew and even play a bit of basketball, so it'll be a challenge," Huston told THR. "But the film is really about childhood and how the stories and memories of your past are often lies."
"Playoff" is set to begin shooting June 29 in Frankfurt. Berlin-based Egoli Tossell, France's Fidelite Films and Topia Communications are producing. Elle Driver is handling international sales. Wild Bunch has already nabbed the picture for Germany.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!