Aurora Shooting: 20 Percent of Moviegoers Still Skittish About Returning to The Multiplex
Attendance could again be impacted this weekend as "Total Recall" and "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days" enter the marketplace.
Two weeks later, the Aurora theater shooting continues to have a dent on the overall domestic box office, according to research firm NRG.
Hollywood studios have been told by NRG that 20 percent of the moviegoing audience say the June 20 midnight massacre is having an impact on their plans to visit the cinema this weekend, according to those who have been briefed on the data.
The 2012 Summer Olympics -- scoring some the highest primetime ratings in years -- also are taking their toll. Roughly 14 percent of the general audience report that they will be spending more time this weekend watching the games, as well as during the week.
Combined, the two factors could diminish grosses for two new films entering the marketplace -- Sony's sci-fi action pic Total Recall and 20th Century Fox's family entry Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days.
The likelihood of attending a movie is again low, or 24 percent (the same as last weekend). It's a bit higher for family films (27 percent). Typically, definite likelihood ranges from 30 pecent to 33 percent during a summer weekend.
Moviegoing dropped off noticeably over the June 20-22 weekend, particularly for family films. Last weekend, there was a slight spike on Saturday.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Will Hillary & Bill Clinton's Daughter Chelsea Be Running for Office?
- Zac Efron Gives a Lap Dance, Admits to 'Plowing' Lots of Chicks in Comedy Central Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Miley Cyrus Will 'Remain Hospitalized' After 'Extreme' Reaction to Sinus Infection Antibiotics
- Taylor Swift Steps Out for Ingrid Michaelson Concert in Brooklyn!