'Dark Knight Rises' Shootings: Gunman's Mother Speaks Out
ABC News was one of the first broadcast outlets to name 24-year-old James Holmes as the suspect who opened fire during a midnight "Dark Knight Rises" showing.
A woman identifying herself as the mother of Colorado shooting suspect James Holmes tells ABC News: "You have the right person."
The woman, based in San Diego, also expressed concern that the 24-year-old Holmes was involved, saying: "I need to fly out to Colorado."
ABC News was one of the first broadcast outlets on Friday morning to name Holmes as the masked gunman who shot dead 12 people and wounded dozens more at a screening of new Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo.
Holmes, who is from Aurora, was apprehended by police in parking lot of the Century 16 Movie Theaters; he claimed he had explosive devices in his apartment, which led to evacuation of buildings in the area.
According to eyewitnesses, the gunman burst into the movie theater around 30 minutes into the film, setting off a smoke bomb and opening fire. He carried a rifle, a shotgun and two pistols.
"The suspect throws tear gas in the air, and as the tear gas appears he started shooting," Lamar Lane, who was at the screening with his brother, told ABC. "It was very hard to breathe. I told my brother to take cover. It took awhile. I started seeing flashes and screaming, I just saw blood and people yelling and a quick glimpse of the guy who had a gas mask on. I was pushed out. There was chaos, we started running."
More witnesses have talked to NBC and CBS, describing a scene of panic and confusion as some moviegoers mistook the shooter's gunshots as part of The Dark Knight Rises. One victim took to the internet to post a grisly image of his gunshot wound (via Reddit).
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'