'Dark Knight Rises' Paris Premiere Canceled Due to Colorado Shootings
UPDATED: Christopher Nolan and castmembers Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway and Morgan Freeman also scrapped press interviews after learning of the Denver movie theater attack.
Plans for The Dark Knight Rises have fallen through in France with Warner Bros. canceling the film’s red carpet premiere in Paris on Friday night in addition to media interviews with director Christopher Nolan and castmembers.
Nolan and Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway and Morgan Freeman are at Paris' hotel Le Bristol to promote the film. However, journalists present at le Bristol for a daytime news conference were told to leave.
In lieu of the shooting in Colorado, Warner Bros. has canceled the interviews. TF1 said that Cotillard was set for an interview on the network's 8 p.m. news program but canceled her appearance today.
The red carpet première tonight has also been scrapped.
In France, the shooting is major news. It's the top story on leading newspaper Le Monde's website and also top national broadcaster TF1's site and also on cable news network iTele and BFM TV's sites.
It was also the leading story on public TV network France 3's noon news program. Warner Bros. has not commented on whether the studio will reschedule the premiere, and Nolan and the cast have not yet commented in the French press.
The Paris junket was scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. at Le Bristol. Around 50 journalists were gathered at the famed Parisian luxury hotel from all over Europe. After New York and London, Paris was set to be the last stop on the film’s European tour, so journalists had been flown in from other countries.
Some of the films’ talents had done a select few interviews already on Thursday night for major French press outlets, but the majority of the interviews were scheduled for Thursday and Friday in Paris. Shortly after 11 a.m., publicists informed the journalists that the junket was canceled, then went on to officially drop the film’s Friday night premiere.
By around 1 p.m. on Friday, the red carpet and temporary decorations at the Gaumont theater on the Champs-Elysees were already being taken down. A public screening at the Grand Rex theater on Saturday night, however, is still on.
The Grand Rex posted the following message on their Facebook page on Friday: "As many of you know, the premiere tonight of The Dark Knight Rises at the Gaumont has been cancelled due to the tragic events of last night. Our premiere is, for the time being, (scheduled). Please do not harass us with questions and do not call the Rex because the situation is very tense. As soon as we have more information, we'll let you know."
Warner Bros. France had not released an official statement as of late Friday afternoon and could not be reached for comment.
Nolan and actors Bale, Cotillard, Freeman, Hathaway and Joseph Gordon-Levitt were scheduled for interviews in Paris through Friday.
"Everyone was in a state of shock," a French journalist explained of the scene at the Bristol on Friday, adding that the cancellation will be costly for the studio who sent more than a dozen cars for the talents and their entourages, plus hotel and premiere costs.
The talent are also staying at le Bristol during their stay in Paris, but the hotel did not wish to comment.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR