Darren Aronofsky Bows Out as 'Wolverine' Director
9:45 AM PDT 3/17/2011 by Pamela McClintock
He says he is "sad," but the 20th Century Fox sequel would have kept him out of the country for too long.
Darren Aronofsky is bowing out of directing 20th Century Fox’s sequel The Wolverine, saying the project would keep him out of the country for too long.
Fox and Hugh Jackman - who is set to return in the title role - said they remain fully committed to making Wolverine and will move aggressively to find a new director. Fox hadn’t yet greenlighted the sequel. A significant portion of the movie will be shot overseas (there had been plans to shoot in Japan). "As I talked more about the film with my collaborators at Fox, it became clear that the production of The Wolverine would keep me out of the country for almost a year,” Aronofsky said in a joint statement with Fox. “I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time. I am sad that I won't be able to see the project through, as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again,” he continued. Stated Fox: “While we are of course disappointed that Darren can’t do The Wolverine, we also understand and respect his reasons. Having done both The Wrestler and Black Swan with Darren, we know he is an extraordinary talent and we look forward to working with him on other projects in the future. Hugh Jackman and Fox both remain fully committed to making The Wolverine. We will regroup and move forward aggressively.” Aronofsky’s production company Protozoa has a first-look deal with Fox. Christopher McQuarrie is writing Wolverine, which doesn’t have a release date yet.
our editor recommends
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David