David Letterman's History of Threats
He's now a Jihad target; in 2009, he was extorted for $2 million; he's also faced kidnap threats.
David Letterman has received a number of threats over the years.
It was recently revealed that Jihad websites have been targeting the Late Show host after he "put his hand on his neck and demonstrated the way of slaughter" when referring to Osama Bin Laden and a drone attack during a June show.
The FBI is investigating. Said NYC bureau spokesman Jim Margolin: "We take ever potential threat seriously."
In 2009, Letterman was threatened with extortion by a former TV producer, Robert Halderman, who asked for $2 million not to reveal alleged affairs Letterman had.
Letterman -- the father of a 8-year-old son, Harry -- said Halderman told him: "I know that you do some terrible terrible things and I can prove that you do these terrible things ... and sure enough what was contained in the package was proof that I do terrible, terrible things."
"My response to that is, 'Yes I have.' Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would," Letterman said on the air. "Especially for the women."
Halderman reached a deal with prosecutors that gave him six months in jail and 1,000 hours of community service in exchange for his guilty plea.
In 2005, former employee Kelly Frank (a handyman on Letterman's ranch in Montana) was arrested for allegedly plotting to kidnap Henry, who was then 16 months old.
Frank pleaded not guilty and was sentenced to 10 years in jail.
"I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing my house on television while I'm in my house watching television," Letterman joked shortly after.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack