David O. Russell Circling Disney's 'Maleficent'
Angelina Jolie has long been attached to the project, a live-action version of the "Sleeping Beauty" story which Tim Burton was originally set to direct.
David O. Russell has surfaced as one of the directors circling Disney’s fantasy Maleficent, from scribe Linda Woolverton.
Angelina Jolie has long been attached to star as the titular character in the event pic.
Tim Burton exited the project earlier this year, opening up the director’s spot. Russell is among those now being considered to helm the pic, but insiders stressed there are other names in the mix as well.
Maleficent is a live-action version of the Sleeping Beauty story, told from the point of view of the evil witch.
Russell's calendar opened up when he parted ways last month with Columbia Pictures, where he was attached to direct Unchartered Drake's Fortune, based on the popular video game. Russell, who wrote a draft of the script for Unchartered, told THR Monday night at a charity benefit that the split was over creative differences.
Russell is repped by CAA.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR