David Tennant's 'Richard II' a Hit With U.K. Moviegoers
The Royal Shakespeare Company production with the former "Doctor Who" star as the eponymous King garners more than $1.6 million at the box office.
LONDON – The movie theater rollout of the Royal Shakespeare Company’s (RSC) Richard II starring former Doctor Who lead David Tennant proved a big draw at the box office.
U.K. indie distributor Picturehouse Entertainment corralled 364 screens for the presentation of the Bard's work and, totting up Wednesday (Nov. 13) night's performance and 20,000 advance bookings taken for the screening, the rollout has conjured more than $1.6 million (£1 million) in box office receipts.
Tennant plays the eponymous king in Shakespeare’s history play, directed by Gregory Doran.
The production was filmed using multiple cameras around the stage and auditorium and produced by John Wyver.
Internationally, the production was broadcast live across Northern Europe (Germany, Austria, Sweden), Ireland, Canada and Malta last night with six further countries – U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Russia - scheduled to screen the it over the next two months.
“We are looking forward to building on this success with our next three productions: Henry IV, Parts 1 and 2 and The Two Gentlemen of Verona, coming to cinemas in 2014,” said RSC director of commercial services Sara Aspley.
Picturehouse Entertainment head of commercial development Marc Allenby said: "The size of the audience is a real tribute to the RSC, and further evidence of the reach and potential of quality alternative content in cinemas in the UK and around the world."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!