HLN Will Air Daytime Emmy Awards
This marks the first time the annual NATAS awards ceremony will air on cable.
With barely a month to go before the June 23 Daytime Emmy Awards, HLN has finalized a deal to air the annual awards show.
The 39th edition of the Emmys was left without a TV home when CBS, which aired the show the previous two years, declined to make room on its schedule for the telecast, which was produced by Associated Television International. The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences parted ways with ATI, which leased the time from CBS while CBS sold advertising and product placement, after last year’s show. Other broadcast networks declined to pick up the Daytime Emmys, which have struggled to stay relevant in the face of declining ratings and outright cancellation of once mighty daytime soap operas.
This marks the first time the ceremony will air on cable. This year’s telecast will be produced by Gabriel Gornell of LocoDistro and will feature tributes to recently cancelled programs including All My Children and One Life to Live.
”In a statement, Scot Safon, executive vp and general manager of HLN, said the network is “thrilled to work with NATAS to celebrate some of television’s best programs and performances.”
“Every day we focus on the news and information people talk about, and that has included extensive coverage of the Daytime Emmys in the past. This year, we’re very excited to also be carrying the event itself,” he added.
NATAS chairman Malachy Wienges noted that the show will be “fresh” and “creative.” NATAS also promised “surprise guests” and “unusual presenter pairings.”
“It's exciting be working with both NATAS and HLN on such an important event as the Daytime Emmy Awards,” said Gornell. “I couldn't have hoped for a better fit with them as creative partners as we pay tribute to some of the very best that entertainment has to offer.
Bill Geddie, executive producer of The View, is this year’s Lifetime Achievement recipient. Barbara Walters will present the award at the black tie ceremony held at the Beverly Hilton.
A host has yet to be named.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)