Daytime Emmys Announce 2012 Nominations, Broadcast Partner Still Up in the Air
With lone ABC soap "General Hospital" leading the pack this year, the Television Academy says negotiations are continuing to find a home for a possible telecast.
The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced the nominees for the 39th annual Daytime Emmy Awards during Tuesday's broadcast of NBC's Today, but it remains to be seen where the kudos show will be aired this year.
General Hospital, ABC's recently renewed and lone remaining soap opera, leads the field with 23 nominations. The network also tops its competition in other arenas, pulling in 56 total nominations over PBS' 51. In the awards' biggest category, best daytime drama, General Hospital will compete against Days of Our Lives, The Young and the Restless and the now-canceled All My Children.
Bill Geddie, EP of The View, will be honored with the lifetime achievement award. "Bill Geddie is an icon in the television industry,” said NATAS chairman Malachy Wienges. “When he and Barbara Walters created The View 15 years ago, they introduced a new and innovative daytime television talk show format. We at the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences are proud to have Bill receive our 2012 Daytime Lifetime Achievement Award."
Tying for second-most nominations are Sesame Street and The Young and the Restless with 16 each. The full list of nominees is available at the Emmy website.
The ceremony is scheduled for June 23 at the Beverly Hilton, but the academy has yet to nail down a broadcast partner. HLN recently was rumored as a possible venue, but with less than two months to go, nothing has been confirmed. Wienges noted there are continuing negotiations with several outlets.
Last year's telecast pulled an all-time lows with 5.5 million total viewers and a 0.8 rating among adults 18-49.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Closed Captioning Finally Enters Digital Age
- 'Jurassic World': See The first Images From The Set Of Next Summer's Dinosaur Flick
- 'A New Earth' Author Eckhart Tolle Says We Have An Addiction To Unhappiness (VIDEO)
- Lake Bell Reveals Pregnancy By Cradling Her Belly In Tight Jumpsuit At Vanity Fair Party