The Dead Zone
On 'Bones,' death comes in many gruesome forms
"The Bodies in the Book"
Episode: "The Truth in the Lye"
Airdate: Sept. 27, 2006
Victim's Demise: Dissolved in chemicals and lye.
"This was the one 'body reveal' that caused the most problems for network standards and practices," says executive producer Stephen Nathan. "They felt that merely the implication of what the victim went through was too sickening."
Episode: "The Bodies in the Book"
Airdate: March 14, 2007
Victims' Demise: Three bodies, three bad ways to go -- tied to ship anchor and eaten by crabs; devoured by fire ants; eaten by rats.
Episode: "The Player Under Pressure"
Airdate: April 21, 2008
Victim's Demise: Trapped behind a set of folded-up bleachers, the body was pressed through a heating grate.
"This was an unfortunate end for the college basketball star," Nathan says. "It definitely hurt his game."
Episode: "The Wannabe in the Weeds"
Airdate: May 12, 2008
Victim's Demise: Murdered, run over by industrial lawn mower. Head wedged in blades; upon discovery, an eye popped out.
Episode: "The Man in the Outhouse"
Airdate: Sept. 10, 2008
Victim's Demise: Stuffed headfirst into an outhouse pit.
The dead body was hidden away in the outhouse, and was only discovered when someone else went in to do their duty -- and lit a cigarette. "He set off the built-up methane gases," Nathan says. "He was blasted in the air in a manner befitting Wile E. Coyote. He landed on a heap, ass-afire, but lived." The corpse was not so lucky.
"The Crank in the Shaft"
Episode: "The Crank in the Shaft"
Airdate: Oct. 1, 2008
Victim's Demise: Pulped and then, um, spread around by a busy working elevator. "This one generated many groans of revulsion," Nathan says.
Episode: "The Cinderella in the Cardboard"
Airdate: April 15, 2009
Victim's Demise: Recycled!
"This young woman was tossed in a recycling Dumpster with cardboard; she went through the recycling plant and was pressed in the middle of a bale of cardboard. She had to be scraped off the slab," Nathan says.
Episode: "The Bond in the Boot"
Airdate: Sept. 24, 2009
Victims' Demise: Shot, left on the roof of a parking garage to rot in the sun. Then, snacked on by feral cats. Later, another victim is found in the trunk of an Aston Martin. "Our homage to James Bond," Nathan says.
Episode: "The Gamer in the Grease"
Airdate: Dec. 3, 2009
Victim's Demise: Killed, then slow-braised for two weeks in a vat of hot cooking oil. "As the forensic team lifted him from the vat, his flesh started to fall off in chunks," Nathan says. "The forensic team is left holding a bloody, fleshless skeleton. Probably our most wonderful and disgusting body so far."
-- Compiled by Randee Dawn
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!