Thom Beers on Bulls, Ratings Bonanzas and Reality Guilty Pleasures (Video)
The "Deadliest Catch" producer tells THR that "National Geographic" inspired him as a boy and why he loves "Tabatha Takes Over."
His mother’s boyfriend (the late British writer Alan Sillitoe) showed a young Beers the masthead of a National Geographic and pointed out that the vice president of the publication also was named Thomas Beers.
“It really kind of set this course for me, and I started getting really interested in National Geographic.” he said. “It’s just one of those weird things. There are no accidents."
Beers also recalled when Deadliest Catch became successful, a new Discovery Channel executive was blown away by the ratings that a three-hour block of the show had brought in over the weekend.
“'This is unbelievable, I want more,’” Beers recalled the exec saying. He joked the network head was panicked when learning it would take a year before another batch would be ready.
“'No, no, no, no. I need them now,’” Beers recalled him saying.
Beers also shared globetrotting stories of being tossed through the air by a charging bull, and later by a baby elephant.
“I kind of wish those two moments were actually caught on TV. There’s something about me flying through the air that I’m fascinated by,” he said.
And as for what he does when he’s not adventuring or making hit shows, Beers also revealed some of his reality TV viewing habits. His guilty pleasure? Bravo’s Tabatha Takes Over.
“She’s just a hard-ass. I love that woman. I love everything about her,” he said. Through his wife, he watches a lot of Bravo’s Shahs of Sunset and the Real Housewives series.
Watch the video above.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- So, Is Joel And Julia's 'Parenthood' Divorce Painfully Realistic Or Totally Out Of Touch?
- Batkid Takes Break From Fighting Crime To Throw Out First Pitch At SF Giants' Home Opener
- Beyonce Wears A Bikini, No Makeup On Vacation With Blue Ivy And Jay Z
- This 'Grey's Anatomy' Sneak Peek Will Have You Ready To Party
- Dianna Agron Pleads for #ADayWithoutWaste: It Is Easy to Make Changes!
- Heidi Klum & Nick Cannon Know How to Wear Black & White at NBC Summer Press Day!
- Nina Agdal Works the Camera for Jeffrey Fashion Cares Charity Show!
- Ellen Page Will Present Exclusive Clip of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at MTV Movie Awards 2014!