Debbie Reynolds Auctions Historic Hollywood Costumes
Marilyn Monroe’s "subway grate” dress and a robe worn by Charlton Heston in "Planet of the Apes" are among items up for auction.
Around 500 pieces of Hollywood history are up for grabs Saturday, as actress Debbie Reynolds auctions off part of her extensive collection of Hollywood memorabilia.
Items up for auction include Marilyn Monroe’s "subway grate” dress, which was famously blown upward in The Seven Year Itch, and a costume worn by Mike Myers in one of the Austin Powers films. Monroe’s dress is the most prized item in the collection, and is expected to fetch between $1 million to $2 million.
Other items up for auction include the "Do-Re-Mi" dress Julie Andrews wore in The Sound of Music, which is excepted to go for $40,000 to $60,000, and a robe worn by Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes, which is excepted to fetch $8,000 to $12,000.
“As I turn these precious items over to the auction, my wish is that they will find homes where they will be revered and preserved along with their history," Reynolds said, according to Reuters.
Reynolds, 79, began collecting the items when financially troubled studios began auctioning them off in the 1970s. She was able to obtain items from the silent era forward, and used her Hollywood connections to buy many of them before they were made available to the public.
Reynolds had hoped her collection would be housed at a museum, and had worked with a developer to build one in Tennessee. Those plans fell through in 2009 when the developer declared bankruptcy. Reynolds is selling her 3,000-item collection to repay creditors from that venture.
Because her collection is so vast, Reynolds plans on auctioning it off in installments over the next two or more years, according to the official website of the Hollywood Motion Picture Museum, a non-profit organization Reynolds founded in 1972 to currate her collection.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)