Debra Birnbaum Out as Editor of TV Guide Magazine (Exclusive)
UPDATED: Features director Carol Dittbrenner also was let go on the heels of Will Keck's and Bruce Fretts' ousters last week.
Debra Birnbaum has been ousted from her role as editor-in-chief of TV Guide magazine.
She was let go Wednesday along with features director Carol Dittbrenner in addition to a member of the public relations team and another employee who worked in marketing.
The moves come on the heels of last week's ouster of columnist Will Keck and critic Bruce Fretts.
According to sources, Birnbaum's position was eliminated and will not be filled.
Birnbaum was promoted to editor-in-chief of TV Guide magazine in May 2008, replacing Ian Birch, who had departed in a round of layoffs the week before. Birnbaum had previously overseen the effort to combine content from across multiple platforms.
The print magazine has struggled in recent years, with more viewers turning to the onscreen guides on their TVs. In 2005, the magazine went through an overhaul and relaunched as a glossy entertainment publication. Its circulation was just over 2 million for the six months ending June 30, 2013, according to the Alliance for Audited Media.
The magazine is separate from TV Guide Network and TVGuide.com. CBS and Lionsgate co-own the network, while CBS also owns TVGuide.com. OpenGate Capital owns the magazine.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David