Democrats berate Rupert Murdoch
Report: Donation to Republicans undermines Fox News
Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. is under fire for a $1 million donation to the Republican Governors Association, with Democrats crying foul and political analysts saying it's unusual that the entertainment conglomerate didn't also give to the other big party.
Democrats now argue that the donation, first reported earlier this week, "was proof positive that Murdoch's claim that Fox News is "fair and balanced" is a myth," Politico reports.
But a News Corp. spokesman told the Washington Post: "It's patently false that a corporate donation would have any bearing on our news-gathering activities."
It is the largest corporate contribution to the RGA this election cycle.
"They're bankrolling the GOP," the executive director of the Democratic Governors Association, Nathan Daschle, told Politico.
News Corp. argued that the money went to the GOP because the company's political action committee felt Republicans would create a more favorable business environment.
Murdoch, known as a political conservative, has in the past supported politicians from different parties, depending on their priorities.
Still, "political analysts said it was highly unusual for the company not to make a comparable contribution to Democrats, in the way most corporate givers (including News Corp.) usually give -- both to hedge their bets and to maintain a sense of even-handedness," said Politico.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR