Democrats berate Rupert Murdoch
Report: Donation to Republicans undermines Fox News
Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. is under fire for a $1 million donation to the Republican Governors Association, with Democrats crying foul and political analysts saying it's unusual that the entertainment conglomerate didn't also give to the other big party.
Democrats now argue that the donation, first reported earlier this week, "was proof positive that Murdoch's claim that Fox News is "fair and balanced" is a myth," Politico reports.
But a News Corp. spokesman told the Washington Post: "It's patently false that a corporate donation would have any bearing on our news-gathering activities."
It is the largest corporate contribution to the RGA this election cycle.
"They're bankrolling the GOP," the executive director of the Democratic Governors Association, Nathan Daschle, told Politico.
News Corp. argued that the money went to the GOP because the company's political action committee felt Republicans would create a more favorable business environment.
Murdoch, known as a political conservative, has in the past supported politicians from different parties, depending on their priorities.
Still, "political analysts said it was highly unusual for the company not to make a comparable contribution to Democrats, in the way most corporate givers (including News Corp.) usually give -- both to hedge their bets and to maintain a sense of even-handedness," said Politico.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical