'Despicable Me 2' Enjoys Largest First-Week Digital Sales Ever
The animated sequel, which generated approximately $80 million in consumer spending revenue within its first week, is on track to become the top-selling digital title of all time.
Better-than-expected sales for several top theatrical films are coming to the home entertainment arena in the fourth quarter. Such reports were confirmed Monday with the announcement by Universal Studios Home Entertainment that Despicable Me 2, released Dec. 10, has generated approximately $80 million in consumer spending revenue in its first week of release.
The total includes purchase spending on both the DVD and the Blu-ray Disc version, as well as digital sell-through formats. Universal Studios said the title -- the year’s No. 1 comedy film, with a worldwide theatrical gross of $918 million – sold about 4.5 million units its first week in stores, more than any other animated title since the original Despicable Me came out in 2010.
On the digital front, Despicable Me 2 posted the largest first-week sales of any title on record and is on track to become the top-selling digital title of all time, the studio said.
"Despicable Me 2’s astonishing results, across both packaged media and digital, underscores the resounding demand among consumers of all ages to have instant access to the film anytime, anywhere, and cements it as one of the greatest must-own movies ever,” said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting