Diane Lane to star in HBO movie
Diane Lane will star in HBO's upcoming film "Cinema Verite," the behind-the-scenes look at the making of the groundbreaking documentary "An American Family."
Lane will play Pat Loud, the mother and main character of the documentary, which chronicled an intimate look at a Santa Barbara family.
When it premiered on PBS in 1973, "Family" stunned viewers by showing a real family's struggle with issues like divorce and sexual identity.
Today the documentary is seen as a precursor of sorts to the popular reality TV docudrama genre, from "Jon & Kate" to "Keeping Up with the Kardashians."
"Verite" is produced by Gavin Polone, written by "The Omen" writer David Seltzer, with writing-directing duo Shari Springer Berman and Bob Pulcini directing.
The project represents Lane's return to HBO after 20 years, when she starred in "Descending Angel" for the network and the first TV project for the big screen actress in eight years. Lane, who stars in the upcoming film "Secretariat," was also was nominated for an Emmy for her appearance in the milestone TV miniseries "Lonesome Dove."
In "American Family," Pat asked her husband for a divorce on camera. Pat told her husband, "You know there's a problem," followed by his reply, "What's your problem?," which became a talked-about exchange in pop culture.
Got tips on TV industry news? Contact TV Editor James Hibberd at email@example.com.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)