Dick Smith to Receive Make-Up Artists Lifetime Achievement Award
The Oscar-winning film and television cosmetics veteran will be honored at the Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild Awards, to be held on Feb. 15.
Two-time Academy Award-winning make-up artist Dick Smith – noted for his longtime work at NBC and for films such as Amadeus, The Godfather, Taxi Driver and The Exorcist – will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild Awards, it was announced Wednesday.
Academy Award winner Rick Baker, who was Smith's apprentice, will present Smith with the award at the ceremony, to be held on Saturday, Feb. 15, on the Paramount Studios lot.
Considered "The Godfather of Makeup," Smith has had a noteworthy career that earned him an Honorary Academy Award in 2012. He won both the Academy Award and the BAFTA Award for Amadeus (shared with Paul LeBlanc, 1985) and he earned an Oscar nomination for Dad (shared with Ken Diaz and Greg Nelson, 1990).
Smith also was the makeup director for NBC from 1945 to 1959; there, he developed many new materials and pioneered such techniques as the use of foam latex and plastics in unusual quick changes for television shows. He won a Primetime Emmy in makeup for his work in Mark Twain Tonight! (1967), and was nominated for North and South (shared with Alan Fama and Rod Wilson, 1986), Harry S. Truman: Plain Speaking (1977) and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1968).
The Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild’s Lifetime Achievement Award is given to those artists whose body of work in the film industry consistently enhances makeup and hair styling artistry, creating memorable characters throughout their career. Past recipients are Daniel Striepeke, Jack Pierce, John Chambers, Robert Schiffer and Monty Westmore.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack