Director Joe Carnahan Calls MGM Exec a 'Spineless, Gutless Turd' in Profanity-Laced Email
The filmmaker sent the unhinged missive to Jonathan Glickman after he exited the studio's upcoming remake of "Death Wish," but his rep claims that it was all in good fun.
This story first appeared in the Nov. 29 issue of The Hollywood Reporter Magazine.
A profanity-laced email that writer-director Joe Carnahan sent MGM's motion picture group president Jonathan Glickman in April began making the industry inbox rounds in mid-November.
Carnahan sent it after he exited MGM's upcoming remake of 1974's Charles Bronson vigilante thriller Death Wish, which Carnahan wrote and was attached to direct. "You had a potential Oscar-winning film with maybe the best script in Hollywood but because you're a coward and a dumb c--- you now have an untested, second-time director and an arrogant, lazy, aging action star that will run that poor kid into the ground," the missive read. (Gerardo Naranjo replaced Carnahan. The star is rumored to be Bruce Willis.)
The letter continued: "Good luck, asshole. You're a spineless, gutless turd who doesn't belong in the business. Enjoy your run as a 'studio head,' Glickman. It's going to be a short one. F--- you, Joe Carnahan."
Turns out, according to Carnahan's camp, this is just all in good fun. "Joe and Jon are old friends," claims Carnahan's rep, Simon Halls. "This is typical banter. Glickman's got it framed in his office. And Joe is working on a project for MGM right now." (It's a TV project called Dogs of War.)
All's well that ends not well, apparently.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)