Director Paul Haggis Subject of Scientology Expose
UPDATED: With author Lawrence Wright, book is billed as 'the most profound reckoning to date with this powerful and secretive organization.'
Author Lawrence Wright is writing an expose about the Church of Scientology through the eyes of former Scientologist Paul Haggis.
Wright's agent calls it "the most profound reckoning to date," according to a literary catalog from the Wylie Agency posted on the website Gawker. Wright is a staff writer at the New Yorker.
The book will be written through the experiences of Haggis, who spent three decades as a Scientologist before publicly ditching the controversial religion in 2009.
It will be called The Heretic of Hollywood: Paul Haggis vs. the Church of Scientology.
"Haggis was one of the church’s Hollywood trophies, along with Tom Cruise and John Travolta, whose paths cross with Haggis’s," the book's catalog listing states. "His resignation from the church in August of 2009 was a crushing disappointment to the organization."
This would be the first time Haggis has spoken on the topic.
The book will focus on various alleged abuses taking place within the church and on the religion's eccentric founder, L. Ron Hubbard, "whose flashes of brilliance and insanity are woven into the fabric of this elaborate belief system," according to the catalog.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR