DirecTV Aims to Deliver Personalized Sports Highlights
The satellite TV company makes deals with LiveClips and i.TV.
DirecTV has announced that it has made a strategic investment in LiveClips, a technology platform that aggregates live, post-game and archived sports feeds.
The satellite TV giant already has a lucrative deal with the National Football League to broadcast out-of-market games, and the investment will allow DirecTV to give "Sunday Ticket" customers the ability to see personalized sports highlights. In addition, the technology has the capability to allow customers access to searchable video clips of game action on broadcast and digital devices.
DirecTV, which has just over 20 million subscribers, didn't reveal the terms of the investment.
The company is also touting a second investment in i.TV, a second screen platform with social capabilities that recently raised more than $9 million in funding and acquired competitor GetGlue. AOL, Entertainment Weekly and Nintendo are said to already be working with i.TV, and DirecTV says it will integrate its capabilities into its soon-to-be-launched next-generation second screen app.
Tony Goncalves, senior vice president digital entertainment products at DirecTV, says the investments "are more than financial, they're partnerships. We acquire unique capabilities to embed in our products and the ability to influence roadmaps. In turn, these companies gain access to a world-class technology team and the subscriber scale of DirecTV."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game