DirecTV, Charter Stocks Hit All-Time Highs After Latest Earnings Reports
UPDATED: The shares of the satellite TV giant and cable operator rose in early Tuesday trading, buoyed by better-than-expected financials.
The stocks of satellite TV giant DirecTV and cable operator Charter Communications on Tuesday hit new all-time highs following better-than-expected first-quarter earnings reports.
As of 11:10 a.m. ET, DirecTV's stock was up 5.9 percent at $61.39 after hitting an all-time high of $61.50. The company's market value hit $35.1 billion early in the trading day.
The stock of Charter, in which John Malone's Liberty Media recently acquired a 27.3 percent stake, at the same time was up 3.1 percent to $108.27 after setting a new 52-week and all-time high of $111.44 earlier in the day. The stock's previous high was $106.98. The company's market value hit $11 billion.
DirecTV earlier in the morning had reported higher earnings and revenue for the opening quarter of 2013, while U.S. subscriber growth slowed compared to the year-ago period.
Growth at DirecTV Latin America continued to be strong in the latest quarter, with subscriber gains coming in nearly as high as in the first quarter of 2012.
Charter narrowed its first-quarter loss and grew revenue as the company, led by CEO Tom Rutledge, continues to turn around its financial performance.
Email: Georg. Szalai@thr.com
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David