DirecTV to Launch 3D Network 3net This Sunday
The satellite TV giant will be the first distributor of the channel joint venture of Sony Corp., Discovery Communications and Imax.
NEW YORK - 3net, the joint venture 3D TV network from Sony Corp., Discovery Communications and Imax Corp, will launch on satellite TV provider DirecTV, its first distributor, this Sunday.
3net will go live at 8pm ET on DirecTV with the world premieres of 3D original programs China Revealed and Forgotten Planet and the 3D TV premiere of Into The Deep 3D.
Throughout February, the network, which has said it wants to offer the largest library of native 3D entertainment content in the world by the end of 2011, will offer original 3D series and program debuts every night at 9pm ET.
It is the industry's only major 3D network launch beyond ESPN 3D, which is going 24/7 mid-month.
Derek Chang, executive vp, content strategy and development at DirecTV, said: “We are excited to be the first distributor to announce the launch of 3net, and we look forward to continuing to provide our customers with the largest and most compelling 3D programming lineup available.”
Tom Cosgrove, 3net’s president and CEO lauded DirecTV, saying it “has clearly been an industry innovator in 3D.”
“The broad availability of high-quality, native 3D content is a critical step towards consumers fully embracing 3D,” said Rob Wiesenthal, executive vp and CFO of Sony Corp. of America.
The 3net launch is “a giant leap in our march to bring audiences the closest-to-real viewing experiences,” added Discovery president and CEO David Zaslav.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress