Discovery Brings More Locally Sourced Content to TLC in Poland and Russia
Cooking, dating and house-hunting formats are being added to the slate.
MOSCOW — Discovery Networks has commissioned three new locally sourced shows to screen on its TLC channel in Poland and Russia.
The announcement by Discovery Networks Central & Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa division brings the number of shows to 11, totaling more than 100 hours that have been commissioned for TLC and Discovery in the region over the past two years, said senior vp channels Paul Welling.
A second season of Great Polish Back Off (8x60, produced by Endomel Polska) returns this fall with Piotr Gasowski hosting along with popular TV actress Katarzyna Skrznecka.
The cooking show’s first season was one of the most successful local productions in Poland, reaching more than 2 million viewers.
In Russia, TLC viewers are to be treated to dating show Material Girl (6x30, produced by Bekker Media). The concept centers on the notion that "money might just buy you love" with four young men competing to buy the perfect present for a potential partner. The winner needs to impress based on his choice of bags, shoes and lingerie, with the young woman forced to make a decision on her Romeo without meeting him.
The show is hosted by Russian TV celebrity Andrey Razygraev, with a September launch slated.
A second series of I Want a House Abroad (5x60, Bekker Media) airs in November in Russia, which follows families hoping to buy properties overseas. The season will focus on Spain with celebrity host Viktor Loginov.
“TLC has been successful because we are a global company with the ambition and funding to deliver really big initiatives," said Weller. "But on a day-to-day basis, we localize our channels to respond to the needs of local audiences,”
Viewers now have the choice of watching TLC HD in Poland, with Russian high-definition on the global lifestyle and entertainment strand due to launch July 23.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Apple Should Have Read The Lyrics Before Putting This Song In An Ad
- 'Noah' Director Darren Aronofsky And Others Talk Faith And Environmentalism (LIVE VIDEO)
- 'The Quiet Ones' Review: Retro Horror Film Is Weighed Down By A Silly Script
- Wrigley Field's Celebrity Singers Ranked From Most Cringe-Worthy To Least