Discovery Communications CEO Touts Ad Upside
David Zaslav also tells an investor conference about OWN's improving momentum and continued international growth.
Discovery Communications CEO David Zaslav on Tuesday touted the advertising rate upside for his company's cable networks.
Speaking at the Deutsche Bank 2013 Media, Internet & Telecom Conference in Palm Beach, Fla., he also said that momentum "looks favorable" for his company ahead of this year's upfront ad market. The session was webcast.
Zaslav highlighted that there is a difference of "still well over 30 percent" in terms of ad rates compared with those of broadcasters. And that even though Discovery beats broadcast networks on Fridays with hit shows such as Gold Rush.
"You can't double your CPM even if you can argue that you should," Zaslav said. The comforting thing is that a high-growth network like ID has so much upside in ad rates that if it stopped growing for three years, it would still get increases, he argued.
Zaslav also said that growth in programming spending will moderate significantly thanks to recent show successes.
Asked about Oprah Winfrey joint venture OWN, Zaslav said: "OWNis doing terrifically well in terms of turning its narrative around."
He also touted recent international acquisitions and emphasized his confidence in continued growth abroad. Discovery had better than 15 percent growth at its international operations in 2012 despite weak economies in European countries and weaker Brazil growth, he said.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!