Dish Network Closes Two Wireless Spectrum Acquisitions
Charlie Ergen's satellite TV company says it "remains committed to using this spectrum to help the Administration and the FCC solve the nation's spectrum crunch."
NEW YORK - Charlie Ergen's Dish Network said Monday that it has closed its acquisitions of wireless spectrum owners DBSD North America and the assets of TerreStar Networks.
The satellite TV operator, which recently failed to get an immediate green light from regulators to develop the wireless spectrum, highlighted that it invested more than $3 billion to secure it and said it "remains committed to using this spectrum to help the Administration and the FCC solve the nation's spectrum crunch."
The FCC earlier this month granted Dish the transfer of license for the two acquisitions, but denied the company a waiver that it had hoped for. The result: Dish must wait for a broader FCC spectrum rulemaking, which will affect when and how Dish can put the wireless spectrum to use.
Dish said Monday that it "looks forward to working with the FCC" on its upcoming Notice of Proposed Rulemaking. But Ergen recently said that a rulemaking delay reduces Dish's chances to be successful in the wireless space.
Analysts have suggested that it would take 6-12 months before the FCC's final order is released. Dish could look to sell the spectrum for a profit if there is too much of a delay, they have suggested.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'True Detective' Deleted Scene: Rust and Lori Break Up
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Crushes Things In A Giant Tank For A Good Cause
- 'Of Many' Film Produced By Chelsea Clinton To Premier At Tribeca Film Festival, Featuring Muslim-Jewish Relations
- The 'High School Musical' Song Ranking You've Been Waiting For