Disney May Impose a 28-Day Wait on DVD Rental Services
Chief Executive Bob Iger says "Redbox and a lot of these services" will have to adhere to a new window or get their DVDs elsewhere.
Disney may impose a 28-day window on services that rent DVDs, a policy similar to those that other studios have already adopted, CEO Bob Iger told analysts on Tuesday.
Iger said during the question-and-answer period on a conference call to discuss quarterly earnings that Disney's studio hadn't imposed a delay on the likes of Redbox before because "it was not seeing any effect from these dollar-rentals on their sell-through business."
Soft DVD sales, though, were cited as a reason Tuesday for Disney's studio entertainment segment reporting a 16 percent dip in revenue in its first fiscal quarter.
Fox, Universal and NBCUniversal already impose a 28-day window on Redbox and Netflix while Warner Bros. said last month it will switch to a 56-day delay.
Disney did not respond to requests for details, including whether or not Netflix would be included in such a delay.
Referring to "Redbox and a lot of these services," Iger said: "We are in discussions to go to the 28-day window -- to not sell directly our physical goods to these entities unless they adhere to a 28-day window."
The studio, Iger said Tuesday, "decided to take a step in the direction of further protecting the initial window of the sell-through."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack